WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
/ˈætɪˌtud, -ˌtyud/USA pronunciation
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
at•ti•tu•di•nal /ˌætɪˈtudənəl, -ˈtyud-/USA pronunciation adj.
- manner or way one thinks about, behaves toward, or feels toward someone or something:a cheerful attitude.
- position or posture of the body: knelt in a prayerful attitude.
- Aeronauticsthe way in which an aircraft is lined up esp. with respect to the horizon.
- Informal Terms[Slang.]a testy, uncooperative disposition:[usually: an + ~]has too much attitude and not enough ability.
at•ti•tudeSenator State Underage Klein And To Ny Tobacco Significantly Proposes Minors Reduce Drinking Purchases Legislation Senate By
(at′i to̅o̅d′, -tyo̅o̅d′),USA pronunciation
- manner, disposition, feeling, position, etc., with regard to a person or thing;
tendency or orientation, esp. of the mind:a negative attitude; group attitudes.
- position or posture of the body appropriate to or expressive of an action, emotion, etc.:a threatening attitude; a relaxed attitude.
- Aeronauticsthe inclination of the three principal axes of an aircraft relative to the wind, to the ground, etc.
- Music and Dance[Ballet.]a pose in which the dancer stands on one leg, the other bent behind.
- Late Latin aptitūdini- (stem of aptitūdō) aptitude
- Italian attitudine
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged See position.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
Etymology: 17th Century: from French, from Italian attitudine disposition, from Late Latin aptitūdō fitness, from Latin aptus apt
- the way a person views something or tends to behave towards it, often in an evaluative way
- a theatrical pose created for effect (esp in the phrase strike an attitude)
- a position of the body indicating mood or emotion
- informal a hostile manner: Scannable Id com Ids Premiumfakes Buy Fake don't give me attitude, my girl
- the orientation of an aircraft's axes in relation to some plane, esp the horizontal
- the orientation of a spacecraft in relation to its direction of motion
attitude' also found in these entries: